Make sure you have all of the classes you need in order to graduate and earn your public relations degree. If you have any questions about which classes you should take, talk to your advisor.
This checklist is for students who entered the public relations program during or after summer 2016. If you started earlier than summer 2016, visit the online catalog to find the bulletin that corresponds with the year you started the program.
- CMCN 170 - Media and Society
- CMCN 212 - Introductory Newswriting
- CMCN 335 - Visual Communication I
- CMCN 320 - Principles of Public Relations
- CMCN 321 - Writing for Public Relations
- CMCN 384 - Communication Theory
- CMCN 385 - Communication Law and Ethics
- CMCN 310 - Public Speaking
- CMCN 421 - Advanced Public Relations Writing
- CMCN 423 - Public Relations Case Studies
- CMCN 425 - Public Relations Campaign Management
- CMCN 386 - Communication Research
- CMCN 490 - Internship
- 3 credit hours of arts electives. Select with advisor approval from DANC, MUS, THEA, or VIAR.
- 6 credit hours of behavioral science electives. Choose in consultation with your advisor from ANTH, GEOG, POLS, PSYC, SOCI, or CJUS. At least three hours of your behavioral science electives must be at the 300 level or above.
- ECON 300 - Fundamentals of Economics
- ENGL 101 - Introduction to Academic Writing
- ENGL 102 - Writing and Research about Culture
English elective. Choose one from:
- ENGL 201 - British Literature
- ENGL 202 - British Literature II
- ENGL 205 - American Literature I
- ENGL 206 - American Literature II
- ENGL 215 - Honors British Literature
- ENGL 216 - Honors American Literature
- ENGL 360 - Advanced Writing or ENGL 365 - Technical Writing
- 6 credit hours of history electives
- MGMT 230 - Fundamentals of Management or MGMT 320 - Management of Behavior and Organizations
- MKTG 345 - Principles of Marketing
- MKTG 380 - Promotional Strategy and Management
- MKTG 355 - Consumer Behavior
- MATH 103 - Applied College Algebra Fundamentals or MATH 105 - Applied College Algebra
- STAT 214 - Elementary Statistics
- MODL 101 (choose from French, Spanish, or German)
- MODL 102 (must choose the same language as you took for MODL 101)
- MODL 201 (must be the same language as you took for MODL 101 and 102)
- MODL 202 or MODL 203 (must be the same language as you took for MODL 101, 102, and 201)
- 9 credit hours of science electives. Science electives are to be chosen from both biological (BIOL) and physical (CHEM, GEOL, or PHYS) sciences, two courses of which must be from the same science.
- PHIL 316 - Professional Ethics
- UNIV 100 - First Year Seminar
- UNIV 200 - Information Literacy (or another advisor-approved computer course)
Other Electives & Minor Courses
- 18 credit hours of courses for your minor. Select your minor in consultation with your advisor.
- 3 credit hours of a humanities, behavioral science, or communication elective (3 credit hours/1 course). Choose in consultation with your advisor from ENGL, HIST, HUMN, MODL, PHIL, ANTH, GEOG, POLS, PSYC, SOCI, CJUS, or CMCN.
- 3 credit hours of a humanities or behavioral science elective. Choose in consultation with your advisor from ENGL, HIST, HUMN, MODL, PHIL, ANTH, GEOG, POLS, PSYC, SOCI, or CJUS.